Robert David Smith
- Born: 7 Jul 1872, Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand
- Christened: 15 Mar 1874, Church of St Augustine, Waimate, New Zealand
- Marriage (1): Mary Maude Kent on 13 Jan 1904
- Died: 16 Aug 1962, Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand at age 90
- Buried: Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand
Another name for Robert was Bob.
He grew up in Waimate and his first job was working on Mr Studholme's station at Te Waimate, fleece picking. From there he went to Clarksfield, then Bluecliffs stations. He joined the army and was in the 3rd and 10th Contingent of Rough Riders in 1900. With his parent's deceased he spent a lot of time with the Soles, his half brothers and sisters. When he joined the Army he listed William Sole as his next of kin. After returning from the Boer War he worked in the Railway Forestry Department planting trees. He also worked for the Waimate Borough Council and managed Fruitlands before going farming at St Andrews in South Canterbury, NZ.
Robert married Mary Maude Kent, daughter of William Kent and Mary Benho, on 13 Jan 1904. (Mary Maude Kent was born on 4 May 1880 in Penzance, , , England, died on 9 Jan 1967 in Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand and was buried in Waimate, Canterbury, New Zealand.)