- Born: 27 Aug 1779, Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland
- Christened: 29 Aug 1779, Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland
- Marriage (1): Janet Hunter on 3 Jan 1801 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
- Died: 12 Oct 1839, Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland at age 60
- Buried: Oct 1839, Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland
Cause of his death was Fever.
Witnesses at his Baptism were George Morrison and John Ritchie (?). George Morrison was an elder of the church in 1771 and also 1776 (one of 4) and a sailor from Cockenzie.
He and Janet were married in Edinburgh and "produced Marriage Lines dated Edin. the 3rd Janry. 1801 declared themselves married persons and paid the usual dues after which their marriage was recorded".
There is a record of a burial of an Agnes Jones aged 3 in 1811 in Leith South, daughter of John Jones, Sailor. Leith is the main port area of Edinburgh and not very far from Cockenzie. However a search of baptism records seem to show that Agnes' parents were Thomas Jones & Barbara Calderwood as there is a record for 1808 in Leith South for this baptism, but no others for a father named John. It is possible that Thomas was John's brother.
There is a record in the Old Parish Registers for Prestonpans of the death of a John Jones from Fever on 12 October 1839, aged 60 - the age is exactly correct for this John Jones. His son, John, and grandson, Thomas are also buried there. Another John Jones died in 1831 and was buried very close to this John's wife Janet Hunter (perhaps with her) but John was alive in 1833 when his daughter Jane married as he is not designated "deceased" on her marriage record which was customary. The identity of this other John Jones is not known - he had a son named John Jones who was still living at that time so is not a child.
On his son, John's, death record he is recorded as a deceased Seaman (Whaler)
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Sailor in Fishorn (?) at the time of Johns baptism on 26 Jun 1802 in Inveresk, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Seaman at the time of son John's birth on 2 Nov 1807 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Fisherman at the time of Jane's birth on 4 Nov 1812 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Fisherman at the time of son Robert's birth on 8 Jun 1818 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Fisherman on 27 Sep 1833 in Port Seton, East Lothian, Scotland.
John married Janet Hunter on 3 Jan 1801 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. (Janet Hunter was born about 1781 in East Lothian, Scotland, died on 8 Jun 1848 in East Lothian, Scotland and was buried on 8 Jun 1848 in Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland.). The cause of her death was Old Age.