Our Origins - the Family Histories of Craig Fullerton and Celine Amoyal
Help keep the website and the research going. Make a small donation. It's easy, secure and appreciated.

arrow arrow arrow arrow
George Jones **
Margaret Hardie **
William Cadzow **
Euphemia Brown **
William Jones **
Elizabeth Forsyth Cadzow **

Archibald Jones


Family Links

1. Gladys Myrtle Lougoon

Archibald Jones

  • Born: 24 Feb 1895, Harrietville, Victoria, Australia
  • Marriage (1): Gladys Myrtle Lougoon on 10 May 1930 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
  • Died: 12 Jun 1974, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia at age 79
  • Buried: 14 Jun 1974, Eaglehawk Cemetery, Eaglehawk, Victoria, Australia

bullet   Cause of his death was Cerebral Haemorrhage, 2 hrs / Cerebral arteriosclerosis, 8 yrs / Right carotid stenosis, 8 years / Severe emphysema, br.

bullet   Other names for Archibald were Archibald Clarkson Jones and Mick Jones.


bullet  General Notes:

Although his birth record list his name simply as Archibald, his death certificate and memorial inscription on his grave record it as Archibald Clarkson Jones. This is also the name he is recorded under in his Military Files, including letters signed by both his parents approving of his enlistment.

Archibald enlisted with the AIF Melbourne on the 17th July 1915 at the age of 20 years and 6 months. At the time he was working as a Postal Assistant. He had previously had 12 months experience in the Senior Cadets and 18 months in the Citizen's Forces. He was described as 5' 6" tall with a fresh complexion, grey eyes and dark hair. His religion was noted as Presbyterian. His Service Number was 2672. As he was not yet 21 years of age he required the consent of his parents and presented a letter from each of them dated 9th July in the case of his father and 13th July in the case of his mother in which they "consent to my son Archibald Clarkson Jones...enlisting in the Commonwealth Expeditionary Force for Service abroad". He also received on the 29th July a letter from the Deputy Post Master General in which he indicated "no objection to your joining the Australian Imperial Expeditionary Force. Leave is, accordingly, granted without pay until you resume your duty in this Department".

He was initially assigned to the 6th Reinforcements, 23rd Battallion and Embarked from melbourne on the H.M.A.T Ulysses on the 27th October 1915. It's not clear exactly when he arrived but he disembarked in Egypt and spent some time training at the Zeitoun Camp there. On the 23rd February 1916 Archibald was taken on strength by the newly-formed 58th Battallion in the Anzac camp at Tel el Kabir, still in Egypt. On the 16th March he was transferred to the 5th Division Signals Company as a Sapper.

Three months later his Unit was on it's way to France, leaving Egypt on the HMT Manitou, disembarking at Marseilles on the 25th June 1916. "At this time the Battle of the Somme was underway and going badly for the British. The three Australian divisions of I Anzac Corps, which had been acclimatising on the quiet sector near Armentières, had been dispatched to the Somme as reinforcements and so the 5th Division took their place at Armentières on 12 July 1916." [Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fromelles] "The battalion [i.e 58th] experienced its first taste of fighting on the Western Front in July when it was involved in the Battle of Fromelles, being in reserve and providing medical stretcher parties. The reserve force, about half of the battalion, was committed at the climax of the battle and lost a third of its strength to machine gun fire. The battalion was allocated defensive duties for the next 10 months" [Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/58th_Battalion_%28Australia%29]

On the 15th April 1917 Archibald was promoted to 2nd Corporal, and in June he was transferred to the New Formation (Signal Section) in England. On the 28th June 1917 he was Taken on Strength with the 6th Division Signals Company at the Parkhouse Camp in England. This training camp was located near the town of Shipton Bellinger, near Tidworth on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border. By the end of July he had been promoted to Corporal, whilst still at Parkhouse.

On the 21st August 1917 Archibald was transferred back to the 5th Division Signallers Coy. after the 6th Division Signals Coy. had been disbanded. On the 26th September he was on his way to France, arriving in Abbeville, on the Somme River, the next day. He was Taken on Strength with the 5th Division on the 8th October, and the next day he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. The 5th Division had just concluded a bloody but extraordinarily successful engagement with the German army in the Battle of Polygon Wood, their first major offensive action after their invovlement in the Battle of Fromelles. On the

"In reserve during the Villers-Bretonneux on 25 April 1918, the battalion next participated in the fighting at Amiens on 8 August, the Battle of Mont St Quentin and Péronne on 31 August and lastly the Battle of St. Quentin Canal on 29 September. Placed into reserve again for rest and reinforcement, the war ended before the battalion saw further action, and it was disbanded on 24 March 1919." [Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/58th_Battalion_%28Australia%29]

Whilst the Battalion was "in reserve" and the War heading towards it's inevitable conclusion, Archibald managed to secure a Furlough for a couple of weeks in England, returning to his unit on the 23rd November 1918. Two months later he was on his way back to England for repatriation to Australia. He was back on Australian soil on the 22nd May 1919, and discharged from the AIF on the 29th July 1919.

Sgt Archibald Clarkson Jones was the recipient of the 1914/15 Star, No. 21496; the British War medal, No. 23522; and the Victory medal, No. 23387.

In the 1919 & 1924 Electoral Rolls, Archibald is living at 5 Johnston St, Glenferrie in Melbourne, his occupation was "Treasury Assistant". By 1931 he was a clerk living at 10 McPherson St, Moonee Ponds, but now his new bride Gladys was living with him too. This may have been the first house he purchased as he applied for a Loan from the State Savings Bank of Victoria under the War Service Homes Act 1918-1920 on the 28th April 1924.

In 1936 he was still working as a clerk, but now living at 12 Valentine Ave in Kew, with Gladys. By 1942 he and Gladys were living at 5 Bakewell St in North Bendigo and Archie was still working as a clerk. They may have moved here, Gladys' home town, after her father died in 1935 to be closer to her mother. They were still there, and Archie still a clerk, in 1954. Between 1963 & 1972 they were at 17 Harney St, Bendigo, Archie has no occupation as he was probably retired.

After the War he is believed to have resumed his career with the Post Master General's Department and his jobs as a Treasury Assistant and clerk were probably with the PMG. He certainly worked in the Post Office at Bendigo when he was living there.


bullet  Noted events in his life were:

• He resided at the time of his death on 12 Jun 1974 in 17 Harney St, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.


Archibald married Gladys Myrtle Lougoon, daughter of Samuel Louie Goon and Mary Ellen Maher, on 10 May 1930 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. (Gladys Myrtle Lougoon was born in 1903 in Eaglehawk, Victoria, Australia, died in 1987 in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia and was buried on 6 Jan 1987 in Eaglehawk Cemetery, Eaglehawk, Victoria, Australia.)

© Copyright Craig Fullerton 2005-2022. All rights reserved.

Free counters!

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This website was created 18 Sep 2022 with Legacy 9.0, a division of MyHeritage.com; content copyrighted and maintained by Craig Fullerton CONTACT: Click on HOME then click on CONTACT US