John Cowan **
- Born: poss 1754, prob Airth, Stirling, Scotland
- Marriage (1): Mary Love ** on 12 Mar 1773 in Airth, Stirling, Scotland
- Died: 20 Aug 1814, Airth, Stirling, Scotland at age 60
There are a number of John Cowan's born in Airth in the period 1740-1755. A number of researchers at Ancestry.com claim his parents are James Cowan and Margaret Morison who baptised a son John on 9 Dec 1753 in Airth. So the timing is about right but none of John Cowan's children I've identified so far have been named James, and Margaret is the 7th born child. So this makes me doubt that James and Margaret were the parents..unless a James and/or a Margaret may have been born in the 2 years between the marriage and the birth of Janet..
Both John and Agnes were described as being parishioners in Airth when they married.
The death in 1814 is the only viable John Cowan in the records for the area.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Coal Miner according to daughter Agnes' Death Certificate in 1860.
• He worked as a Ploughman according to daughter Elizabeth's Death Certificate in 1874.
• He worked as a Coal Miner according to his daughter Fyffe's Death Certificate in 1877.
John married Mary Love **, daughter of Thomas Love and Agnes Strang, on 12 Mar 1773 in Airth, Stirling, Scotland. (Mary Love ** was born in Oct 1754 in Airth, Stirling, Scotland and was christened on 20 Oct 1754 in Airth, Stirling, Scotland.)