- Born: 31 Aug 1790, Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland
- Christened: 5 Sep 1790, Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland
- Marriage (1): Jean Donaldson on 13 Nov 1810 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
- Died: 17 Sep 1844, Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland at age 54
- Buried: Sep 1844, Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland
Cause of his death was Cancer.
His baptism records his father's name as George Jones in Cockenzie and Agnes Young his wife". I think this was an error by the Minister or registrar who was perhaps thinking of the child's name. The date fits neatly in with John and Agnes' other children's birth dates and there is no other record of a George Jones and Agnes Young marrying or having any other children.
According to the entry in the Tranent Parish register he and Jean were both from Cockenzie and were "irregularly married at Edin. 13th and their marriage confirmed on 25 November 1810".
His sister Isabell also married a Donaldson (a very common family name in Cockenzie).
At the time of the 1841 Census he was living in Cockenzie. He was a Fisherman, aged 50 and born in the County. His wife was 55 and born in the County, her name was recorded as Jane. Living with them was daughter Grace, aged 20 and born in the County. There were three Donaldson families living in the adjacent three houses who may have been related to his wife: John and Margaret Donaldson both aged 25 and son John aged 4; Margaret aged 20, a Farm Servant; and Robert, a Fisherman aged 25, ???? female aged 35, Archibald, 15, Peter, aged 12
The Prestonpans parish burial records suggest he died of Cancer about the 17th September 1844, his age is recorded as 53. He was buried 12 feet from the East Wall and 22 from the north wall, very close to where his parents are buried.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Fisherman when daughter Jean was born on 4 Jun 1812 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Fisherman at the time son John was born on 27 Jun 1815 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
• He worked as a Fisherman at the time of the Census in 1841 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
George married Jean Donaldson, daughter of John Donaldson and Jean Watson, on 13 Nov 1810 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. (Jean Donaldson was born on 19 Mar 1783 in Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland and was christened on 23 Mar 1783 in Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland.)