William Edward Jones
- Born: 13 May 1884, Bright, Victoria, Australia
- Marriage (1): Mabel Adelaide Usher on 8 Apr 1908 in Hillgrove, New South Wales, Australia
- Died: 17 Mar 1959, Prince Albert Memorial Hospital, Tenterfield, New South Wales, Australia at age 74
- BuriedMale: 19 Mar 1959, Presbyterian Cemetery, Tenterfield Cemetery, Tenterfield, , New South Wales, Australia
Cause of his death was Coronary occlusion/ Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia / Enlarged prostate.
After his wife Mabel was killed after being struck by a car when alighting from a tram in Sydney, his young children Stan and Melba were sent to live with their Grandmother in Harrietville.
William signed up with the AIF at Albury on the 28th January 1918. He was 33 years and 7 months old, and a Postal Assistant in Albury at the time. He was 5' 61/2" tall and weighed 144 lbs. He had a florid complexion, brown eyes and Brown hair, turning grey. He was reported as having "flat feet" but with no obvious symptoms.
William started as a recruit, with the rank of Private, at the Wireless Training School at the Show Grounds Camp in Sydney almost immediately. His weekly training reports show that he was "Working Well" then "Improving fast", "Good Progress", "Progress maintained", "Orderly room", "Orderly Room & Lease", in his 10th week "Musketry" and finally "Office Duties". Most of his days were taken up with Physical training and Route Marching along with various Drills with and without arms. His Musketry training records indicate that he was very proficient with a rifle.
However, by the end of his training William was declared medically unfit for service and was discharged with a notation on his file that this was due to his medical condition and not due to misconduct.
Although he died in Tenterfield, his Death Certificate recorded his "Usual Residence" as Melbourne.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Postmaster at the time of his death on 17 Mar 1959.
• He resided at the time of his father's death on 27 Oct 1917 in Albury, New South Wales, Australia.
William married Mabel Adelaide Usher, daughter of John Usher and Elizabeth Pinkerton, on 8 Apr 1908 in Hillgrove, New South Wales, Australia. (Mabel Adelaide Usher was born on 15 Dec 1886 in Muswellbrook, New South Wales, Australia, died on 18 Oct 1913 in Manly, New South Wales, Australia and was buried in 1913 in Manly, New South Wales, Australia.). The cause of her death was Killed in a Tram Accident.